Zero Evictions Days 2020 Actions
The US Human Rights Cities Alliance joins Pittsburgh and other cities join the International Alliance of Inhabitants’Zero Evictions Days (October 2020)-International solidarity to achieve dignity and security in housing.
Housing is Health Care! Why Housing Must Be Treated as a Human Right PUSHing The Human Right to Housing Together with the CMU Film Festival and other partners, we’re working to advance struggles for housing justice at this moment of acute crisis. Housing is increasingly unaffordable for people around the world and housing insecurity is rising. Join us in watching the documentary film, Push, which tells the story of how global banks and investment firms control residential housing around the world and push out low-income residents, turning our communities into sources of private profit. But the film tells another story too: residents are coming together to demand that housing be protected as a human right.
You are invited to join this discussion and learn what you can do to make housing a human right! • Watch the film From October 24-November 5. 2020, you can screen the film online. Tickets $12. Once you purchase your ticket or enter discount code, you have 7 days to start watching the film, and 24 hours to finish it once you start.
- Some free film passes are still available please contact: pghrights [at] riseup [dot] net .
• Join the discussion Two webinars featuring a dialogue with housing organizers and former UN Special Rapporteur on the Human Right to Housing, Leilani Farha, will explore how people can fight the global investment firms that are controlling more and more land in our communities. How can U.S. organizers better utilize opportunities to advance and protect housing as a basic human right? Hear about Farha’s new organization, #Maketheshift, and hear from organizers in numerous cities and learn about work happening in Canada and elsewhere to bring new solutions to the global housing crisis.
- Part 1: Thursday Oct. 29 view recording Speakers include: Carl Redwood Hill District Consensus Group. (Pittsburgh) Dr. Yolande Tomlinson Organization for Human Rights and Democracy & US Human Rights Cities Alliance(Atlanta), Rob Robinson (Facilitator), organizer with the US Human Rights Cities Alliance, International Alliance of Inhabitants, and Partners for Dignity and Rights.
- Part 2: Thursday Nov. 5 7:00PM -Strategies for building the Human Right to Housing- Hear from organizers in Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh, joined by Leilani Farha--Learn about how people are working in communities and globally with Farha's organization, #Maketheshift, to change the script around housing. We need governments to treat housing as a right, homes are not real estate! Cities are the people and communities we build together, they should not be turned into investment opportunities for global finance. How can residents build power to make the shift for policies that treat housing as a human right? Click here to register and join Zoom meeting
- Panelists:Panelists: Randall Taylor, Penn Plaza Support and Action Coalition & Pittsburgh Human Rights City Alliance Steering Committee member, Sanae Lahgazi- Alaou, Housing Justice League (Atlanta), Regina Young, Democratic Candidate for State Representative, Philadelphia, TBA-Pittsburgh housing justice movement